Aug 5, 2010

Going Red

In a bid to refurbish my bedroom, I am undertaking the task of painting a hand-me-down coffee table red. Only, I will be using this coffee table as a bedside table. The plan is to make it look pretty in contrast to the otherwise very brown and very boring furniture, save of course my ‘Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe’ like looking armoire. Once it’s all done, I will place an ornate lamp stand on it, purchase a fitting shade and be content with my handy work.

Being a complete newbie to home projects, I sought advice from several well-experienced quarters on how to go about such a task. I was told

a) I would need to scrape the black polish off

b) Brush on the primer

c) Scrape that off

d) Brush on some more primer and scrape it off again (optional)

e) And finally, paint on the red. (this is my favourite part)

And so last week, in what seemed like an incessant downpour of rain, N and I finally went to the shop and bought the required material. Even here, I was advised to go to a particular shop and speak to the owners who tend to the customers themselves. It so happens that this shop (the name of which I do not know) is famous. I was attended to by a very forbearing handsome young chap who I had no problem in conversing with; you see his yummy looks made this whole experience so much nicer. For those of you who wish to know, the shop sits one lane in front of (or behind, depending on which direction you approach it) the very decent looking public toilet on SV Road in Old Khar.

Now this endeavour ought to give me much joy. Or so I thought…

A week later I finally start this project. Sand paper in hand I started scraping, only to find that it wasn’t going to be an easy task. The black polish has thickly seeped into the wood. A mere stroke barely grazes the surface. So I put a little more gusto into it, taking out all my frustrations on that poor table, careful of course not to break it. This to just about grazes the surface (apparently my strength does not match my frustrations!).  A little longer and voila I can see the brown wood. This is about a centimetre of the six inches by one inch piece on one side of the table. Much more to go.

Two hours, a red faced me and one blistered thumb (not kidding about the blister) later, I have completed about 10% of the table.

Suddenly I find myself rethinking the entire project. Along with the other advice, I have also been told to take it slow, enjoy the process. And so I shall, I shall put the pain of the blister behind me (as much as it hurts even while typing this) and take it easy… Spread the ‘enjoyment’ over a few days, so to speak.

Pictures of the ‘before and after’ will be up as soon as it’s done. Cheers to all the home project enthusiasts, and to the people who do this for a living, I have newfound respect for you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talk to your local hardware store regarding using paint stripper, this works brilliantly on paint, and will strip off most of the layers of paint. If you could use this on your bedside/cofee table to remove the varnish/polish it will make your life a hell of a lot easier. Beware it is messy and the fumes that are given off are posionous, so use this in an open environment.

Marinha said...

Thanks... But I'm actually almost done with sanding the polish. Just one more side to go.

Will keep the paint stripper in mind the next time.

25BAR said...

Good luck!
Sandpaper rocks!